Take A Part Carlow
March 22, 2019
In your own words, tell us about your project.
Take A Part Carlow is led by an Arts Action Group - this is a working group, made up of community representatives along with agency partners all working together. We are funded and supported by Carlow County Council, the Arts Council of Ireland and internationally supported by our sister organisation Take A Part UK. The Take A Part Carlow Arts Action Group operates a ground up approach. People choose to participate, enthusiasm is shared, and passions are ignited, social networks are built on and new aesthetics emerge
Why did you do this work?
To include, empower and support the Tullow Road communities to build artistic capacity that in turn brings communities together, gives a sense of place, belonging and local ownership and direct decision making from the ground up.
Our aim is to make art in our local area. Our 10 objectives:
- To work collaboratively across agencies and the community of the Tullow Road area
- To engage new audiences for the arts
- To form a local Arts Action Group made up primarily of members of the Tullow Road Community with local agencies to lead the project
- To continue to work with our international partner Take A Part (CIC) UK as a critical friend
- To let the community decide on what art they wish to have in their local area, through workshops, artists residencies and participatory activities
- To co-curate art in the Tullow Road area with that community through the Arts Action Group
- To create spaces and reveal local infrastructure where social exchange happens as a result of participation in, and engagement with the arts
- To open up opportunities for the community to engage with artists
- To build relationships and a process with the Tullow Road Community in order for participation in the arts to happen
- To work with the very best artists
What was the impact or outcome of your project?
Take A Part Carlow aims to create a vibrant, creative and socially engaged community that opens up horizons and contributes to a better future. Our future is building on our deep belief in creating space for discovery, delight and creativity.
How can Take A Part Carlow ensure quality of engagement?
- We work collaboratively across agencies and the community of the Tullow Road area
- We engage new audiences for the arts through socially engaged art that is relevant to the community
- We create spaces where social exchange happens as a result of participation in, and engagement with arts programmes
- We work to open up opportunities for the area to engage with artists
- Build relationships with the Tullow Road Community in order for participation in the arts to happen
Long term impact of Take A Part Carlow
- Build capacity within the community - Include, empower and support communities to build artistic capacity
- Test and design a new model of local arts participation called Take A Part (Carlow)
- Assess how we capture learning on an ongoing basis